Social Media & SEO
Course code : DESI1209
Course co-ordinator : David Watson
Course tutor : David Watson et al.
Course weighting : 15 Credits
This course has a focus on the promotion of digital content, branding and social media strategies and how they can be used to drive traffic to web properties by taking a user-centred approach to their creation and delivery. The course also covers the careful shaping of web content for search engine optimisation and the important role of analytics in measuring the success of our efforts
This course introduces students to online promotion and marketing, using “white-hat” SEO techniques (both on-page and off-page) and social media. Students develop a deep and systematic understanding of the subject area and a rigorous approach to the implementation of the ideas and methods involved.
On successful completion of this course a student will be able to:
- Understand the principles of successful branding and critically appraise brand image.
- Create web content that is easily findable by applying a deep understanding of all the variables involved.
- Integrate good SEO into web content with a systematic appreciation of the different components that should be considered.
- Understand how social media can be used as a promotional tool.
- Analyse server logs, work with 3rd party analytics tools and demographic data to gain a deep understanding of user demographics.
- Create brilliant content
- Know your users
- Connect with your audience
- Build credibility through style
The course runs during Term 1 and consists of four themed seminars/workshops and one assessed project.