+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ipad/iphone... no flash... NOW or EVER! Steve Jobs tells us why?

Default Ipad/iphone... no flash... NOW or EVER! Steve Jobs tells us why?

Very good statement and very persuasive. The final point is cutting and one can see that it makes no sense for Adobe to start pushing HTML5 through Dreamweaver because there is a business conflict there with Flash. Adobe are in a very difficult position and Apple (according to Jobs) are on the side of the angels by championing the use of open standards.

One has to be wary of Apple's business strategies in their march toward world domination in the mobile market but what they say does seem to make sense on many levels.
    Perhaps late-night surfing is not such a waste of time after all: it is just the Web dreaming. Tim Berners-Lee
    Currently listening to: Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons

It scares me that I now want an Iphone really badly. I feel like I am joining a cult and one day we will turn around and no one can search without Google or communicate with Apple.
    Agh!

KA

Tutor

The situation in software is odd. Yahoo etc etc lost out to Google; Myspace lost out to Faceboo; IBM lost to Microsoft; Microsoft is holding on to its revenues, though gradually losing ground to Apple and Linux. Anti-trust legislation is a really good idea! Apple is only invincible so long as its innovatory prowess continues. They have been in a tailspin before and could easily find themselves in another one.

Hey all, I read this interesting article which debates whether the ipad will revolutionise the newspaper industry. It kind of builds on my content management presentation - saying that the online revenue model still doesn't compute!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/market...t-bet-on-it.do

Tutor

Goodness gracious. He remarks that '10 million people pay for a daily newspaper, at a rough estimate of £30 a month, "there will not be 10 million people spending £30 a month on the iPad any time soon." If this is the standard of financial analysis in the newspaper industry than DOOM may come sooner than we all think. A large slice of the cost of a newspaper goes on the physical production and distribution of the product - cutting down trees, bringing the timber to the UK, converting it into paper, building printing presses, buying ink, making buildings in which to carry out these operations, putting the papers in vans, building shops in which to sell papers, collecting and re-cycling the waste. Cut out these costs and very much less revenue is required. Also, as Apple appreciates, the user experience of a ereaderNewspaper can be very much better than a webNewspaper. The key figure, for me, is that 2m iPads were sold in the first month.

+ Reply to Thread