+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Open Rights Group

Default Open Rights Group

I don't know if you've ever come across the Open Rights Group, but after seeing a talk by @peterbradwell at the Reading Geek Night I joined up. I think they do some very important work when it comes to public information and citizen activism, but depending on how our careers pan out once we've graduated, a lot of what they discuss in terms of copyright law, government policy etc. could have a real impact on our jobs.

I'm going to their conference tomorrow, and looking at the programme there are quite a few sessions which relate to what we're being taught here. If anyone's interested I'll post some thoughts here after the event.

Sounds interesting Tom, do report back. One imagines that these organisations are full of cranks but hopefully that's not the case here.
    Perhaps late-night surfing is not such a waste of time after all: it is just the Web dreaming. Tim Berners-Lee
    Currently listening to: Script of the Bridge by The Chameleons

Ha ha! They do sound the type to be full of cranks, but they weren't. There's a more radical hacker fringe, but in a lot of ways they're a lobbying group, trying to improve copyright law and data governance. The keynote speaker was actually very relevant to my project, spending quite a bit of time talking about Open Access. I'll write a bit more on this when I have time (i.e. after tomorrow's presentation) because there was a lot of really useful information. I think the most directly applicable talk was from someone who works at Mozilla, discussing how they're implementing Do Not Track, and why.

+ Reply to Thread