This module includes 2 assessed elements; a project and a seminar. Details of these elements are given below. Each of the elements has a slightly different weighting and this is indicative of the degree of difficulty and/or the amount of work required. The weighting is as follows:
- Seminar: 40%
- Small Business Website Revisited: 60%
Select a topic from the list below on which you will give a 15 minute seminar to the other students in the class. Each presentation must be given using either PowerPoint/Keynote or a web browser based medium. In addition, each presentation must be accompanied by an article covering all of the salient points of the presentation and including relevant links. This can be a blog entry or a separate document submitted as a .PDF file. Your seminar slides must be made available online either as a .PDF or at a site like speakerdeck.com. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to practice your presentation.
The assessment for your seminar will be based upon:
- Quality of the materials used for presentation (clarity, design etc.)
- Content quality (how well you understood your subject and how well you helped others to understand the subject)
- Subject coverage (depth, breadth, focus as appropriate) of the presentation and accompanying article.
Seminar topics are:
- Responsive images – what are the options? (Tony)
- Micro-formats – what are they for? (Rob)
- CSS custom properties
- CSS animation (Ebony)
- What are “Progressive Web Apps” and how do they work? (Shiva)
- CSS pre-processors, what are they? (Prabin)
- What is “atomic design”? (Joana)
- What are the best tools for wireframing and prototyping? (Andreea)
- What is version control and GIT? (Megat)
- Tips on measuring and improving page load speed (browser caching etc.)
No duplication of topics allowed – each student presentation should be unique. Claim your topic on Slack in the #general channel. First claim bags the topic!
Schedule for 2020
Seminars: 5th – 19th February
Submission date (slides and article): Friday, 13th March 2020
You are advised to submit the slides and article shortly after giving your seminar so that the topic is still fresh in your mind.
- 15 minute seminar presentation in class
- Slides made available online and linked to from your coursework homepage.
- A blog article covering the seminar topic, linked to from your coursework homepage.
Small Business Website (revisited)
Interim crit: 4th March 2020
Submission date: Friday, 13th March 2020
- A revised version of the small business website, linked to from your coursework homepage.
- A short analysis of the original website and a summary of all the changes/improvements you have made in the new version, linked to from your coursework homepage.