This module includes 2 assessed elements; a project and a seminar. Details of these elements are given below. Each of the elements has a slightly different weighting and this is indicative of the degree of difficulty and/or the amount of work required. The weighting is as follows:
- Seminar: 40%
- Small Business Website Revisited: 60%
Select a topic from the list below on which you will give a 15 minute seminar to the other students in the class. Each presentation must be given using either PowerPoint/Keynote or a web browser based medium. In addition, each presentation must be accompanied by an article covering all of the salient points of the presentation and including relevant links. This can be a blog entry or a separate document submitted as a .PDF file. Your seminar slides must be made available online either as a .PDF or at a site like speakerdeck.com. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to practice your presentation.
The assessment for your seminar will be based upon:
- Quality of the materials used for presentation (clarity, design etc.)
- Content quality (how well you understood your subject and how well you helped others to understand the subject)
- Subject coverage (depth, breadth, focus as appropriate) of the presentation and accompanying article.
Seminar topics may include the following (TBC):
- Responsive images – what are the options?
- Micro-formats – what are they for?
- CSS custom properties
- CSS animation
- What are “Progressive Web Apps” and how do they work?
- CSS pre-processors, what are they?
- What is “atomic design”?
- What are the best tools for wireframing and prototyping?
- What is version control and GIT?
- Tips on measuring and improving page load speed (browser caching etc.)
No duplication of topics allowed – each student presentation should be unique. Claim your topic on Slack in the #general channel. First claim bags the topic!
Schedule for 2021
Seminars: 17th – 24th February
Submission date (slides and article): Friday, 19th March 2021
You are advised to submit the slides and article shortly after giving your seminar so that the topic is still fresh in your mind.
- 15 minute seminar presentation in class
- Slides made available online and linked to from your coursework homepage.
- A blog article covering the seminar topic, linked to from your coursework homepage.
Small Business Website (revisited)
Interim crit: 10th March 2021
Submission date: Friday, 19th March 2021
- A revised version of the small business website, linked to from your coursework homepage.
- A short analysis of the original website and a summary of all the changes/improvements you have made in the new version, linked to from your coursework homepage.